Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Telling True Stories Reading

The section that stuck out to me the most was "On Voice" written by Susan Orlean. Often i find myself trying to write like someone I'm not. I found it interesting that she told the reader "The way you tell a story over dinner is true to who you are, whether that is deeply analytical or extremely witty." I found myself thinking about how I actually tell stories to my friends and family. Orlean goes on to say that "you can't invent a voice" and I completely agree with her. Although it may take practice and a lot of lessons from the oh-so-wise Nicole Williams, every writer will find their voice.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, the section on voice stuck with me as well. It is difficult to write because we read writings from scholars and authors who have written in their own styles. It is difficult to find your own voice when writing because we are so used to writing in the style that we are used to reading: everyone else's style. I agree that you cannot invent a voice, but with practice I think every writer will be able to develop their own voice over time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the part about how we tell stories at dinner because I always find myself writing in a more formal manner than I speak, which sometimes can be helpful but sometimes harmful to my writing.

    ReplyDelete